[CalFiber] Letter to Biden FCC Transition team on abolishing digital redlining - deadline COB Nov 23rd

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Tue Nov 17 16:22:28 PST 2020

I think it would be straightforward to differentiate between CLECs and
ILECs here simply on the premise that ILECs already have the connections
throughout the community built from their legacy deployment and are
undergoing a transition with pre-existing rights of way whereas CLECs
are entering and expanding as fiber on the front end. If the day came
and Sonic covered all of SF, then future upgrades would have to be equal
throughout the network just like it would be for the ILEC, but we're not
there yet. Worth flagging that California state law already has a
prohibition on discrimination based on socio-economic status now for
broadband, which is why the CPUC is asking its questions on redlining.

The federal law prohibits unreasonable discrimination, not
*/reasonable/* discrimination. That is why you have net neutrality but
also reasonable network management exceptions. So you couldn't do this
kind of mandate for rural areas because the private entity has a fairly
straightforward argument as to why they can't upgrade without some sort
of government support. I also think real barriers in local areas you
listed out would be legitimate arguments as well to read in favor of the
provider, but I think that applies to new entrants, not established
incumbents. I do not think the ILECs have a reasonable discrimination
argument for not upgrading their entire copper footprint to fiber in
densely populated cities given that they already have the rights of way
that overcome the barriers you listed. On top of that, AT&T heading
towards cutting off the copper line in its entirety without replacing it
with fiber has to be confronted with regulation given that the copper
retirement offering clearly didn't work.

To your question about cable, no this wouldn't compel them to deploy
fiber to the home. But an upgrade to the cable network would have to be
done on a non-discriminatory basis throughout the footprint within a
reasonable period of time under an anti-redlining provision. And that is
the issue here, redlining. They have pre-existing connections to these
communities that they are intentionally neglecting with the transition
while high-income users in those same cities are getting fiber, and that
just should not be allowed to continue/will take a lot of regulatory
work to confront and stop.