[CalFiber] Letter to Biden FCC Transition team on abolishing digital redlining - deadline COB Nov 23rd

Dane Jasper dane.jasper at sonic.com
Tue Nov 17 15:51:23 PST 2020

Certainly understand the goals of full deployment, and our own analysis of
the 477 info supports the fact that more fiber is deployed in areas with
higher incomes.

Universal service was a concept when cable companies were granted monopoly
franchises for television services. They'd generally be required to provide
service throughout a city, with some carve-outs for things like long
private property driveways that they were allowed to charge more for - but
they couldn't skip sections of town and basically had to go down every
road. But of course, that was before the internet disrupted cable
television, and a monopoly franchise meant something.

But I don't understand how you could compel a carrier today, even an
incumbent, to deploy or upgrade their infrastructure universally. And would
you compel both the cable company and the incumbent telephone carrier both
to deploy fiber to every home premise? What about CLEC overbuilders like
Sonic? We build where we can, but without pre-existing conduit in place,
and with overloaded poles and varying city limitations on underground
construction, we end up with gaps in our coverage.

-Dane

Dane Jasper
CEO
707-237-6205