[CalFiber] Letter to Biden FCC Transition team on abolishing digital redlining - deadline COB Nov 23rd

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Tue Nov 17 12:25:13 PST 2020

Hey folks,

The time to weigh in with the incoming Biden Administration on goals for
the first year is _/*now*/_./**/Decisions about staffing federal
agencies and setting their priorities are happening as we speak so that
come January they can hit the ground running. Not a lot has been
submitted to the transition team about what the FCC should do so I
worked with some folks to come up with this letter that I present to you
for your consideration.

The letter asks that the new Biden Administration appoint FCC
Chair/Commissioners that will lead the agency to abolish digital
redlining that is happening in our cities in year 1 and mandate the
incumbents like AT&T to deploy fiber to the low-income people they have
left behind with the goal of full deployment by the end of the first
term. This would be done after reclassification of broadband as a Title
II service by relying on the anti-discrimination authority the FCC has
under Title II to address socio-economic discrimination in areas that
are economic to fully serve.

It is just a fact that the large ISPs have refused to do so because they
do not want to serve low income people for lower profits. Full
deployment of fiber in densely populated cities is 100% profitable for
the major ISPs like AT&T, but because we don't have an affirmative
anti-redlining regulation on fiber, they are collecting profits that
stem from discrimination with a disproportionate impact on people of
color. This will carry serious ramifications going forward as those
older slower networks will become more expensive to maintain, more
expensive to subsidize access, and receive less and less investment by
the incumbents who are purposefully letting them fall apart.

The new FCC can and should stop that from continuing forward after it
reclassifies broadband as a Title II service.

**If you wish to sign on to the attached letter*, please click the link
below. Deadline to sign on is November COB 23rd (Monday).*

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3zD7OT-oCpk8m0azJlbkIYxouSJTZZPFZIa32KfwvWhLEqA/viewform?usp=sf_link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3zD7OT-oCpk8m0azJlbkIYxouSJTZZPFZIa32KfwvWhLEqA/viewform?usp=sf_link>