[CalFiber] Question from a supporter

Paul Goodman paulg at greenlining.org
Mon Nov 16 13:44:31 PST 2020

My first thought was that as "observed" wireless networks, some of those
networks may be private, and connecting to/using those networks could be a
violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (EFF did some work on this
back in 2011, based on this article
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/whats-yours-is-mine-using-a-wireless-network-you-dont-own/72880/>).
I'd be really leery of sharing that list unless I knew there was permission
to use each of those networks.

My second thought was that some of those wireless networks are likely
honeypots or rogue access points, which is creepy in a whole different way.

(As you can tell, I have rather a doomsday view of unsecured wireless
networks).

Paul

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:28 PM Hayley Tsukayama <hayleyt at eff.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This question came in from a supporter of ours, and I thought if anyone
> would know if this resources exists it would be this group:
>
> I help run a giant open database of observed wireless networks - local
> governments and school systems have been contacting them for help finding
> open WiFi for kids to go to school; is there anywhere should i send them??
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks!
>
> Hayley
>
> --
> Hayley Tsukayama
> Legislative Activist
> (415) 436-9333 x161 | @htsuka

*Paul Goodman* (@pauloverbite <http://twitter.com/pauloverbite>)
Technology Equity Director
The Greenlining Institute

pronouns*: he, him, his*

*Read about Greenlining's impact in our 2019 Annual Report
<https://greenlining.org/publications/2020/2019-annual-report/>*

I may have sent this e-mail outside of office hours. I never expect a reply
outside of your office hours.

e: @paulg at greenlining.org <paulg at greenlining.org>

t:  510.898.2053
a: 360 14th Street, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612
w: greenlining.org

Building a nation where communities of color thrive and race is never a
barrier to opportunity. Sign up for our email list here
<http://eepurl.com/bPPgmD>.

<http://facebook.com/greenlining>  <http://twitter.com/greenlining>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/thegreenlininginstitute->

*This transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone. *