[CalFiber] CETF Bond Proposal

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Fri Nov 13 14:57:42 PST 2020

Yeah this part is horseshit

_*Underserved Areas: Conservatively, 3M of 6.2M students attend Schools
in low-income neighborhoods and are likely to have inadequate bandwidth
for distance learning (and telehealth and telework). CENIC consulted
ISPs and Crown Castle to develop projections that suggest up to $1,500
per HHs to upgrade networks in underserved urban areas. Thus, CETF
suggests $1,500 average per HH for 3M locations for a total of $4.5B.*_

We are not going to give industry $4.5 billion for redlining these
people in densely populated cities. They should just be mandated to
cover them and we should just make it easier and cheaper to build in
cities as part of the bargain (so I do agree with the permit expeditious
part). It is already illegal to discriminate based on income, lets just
enforce the law there. This would be a massive windfall for companies to
be paid to wire already profitable locations.
**_**_

_**_The rural though I think you'll have to bond finance and it'll be
local private/public building it out there.