[CalFiber] Rural Colorado County - Open Access Muni Fiber Success

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Fri Dec 11 14:43:15 PST 2020

I mentioned this in the call... for some evidence that this approach has
been successful elsewhere.

Rio Blanco county in NW Colorado built an open access network a few years
ago and it has worked well. Take rate was far better than expected. Built
it with existing capital budgets - so tax dollars but not new taxes -
backed by a partial match from the state.  (IIRC)

Podcast interview and transcript here:
https://muninetworks.org/content/rio-blanco-exceeds-expectations-colorado-community-broadband-bits-podcast-365

Our tags cover other information we have published on Rio Blanco - some
more in depth than others:
https://muninetworks.org/tags/tags/rio-blanco-county

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks